Thursday, December 23, 2010

LASIK Operation Bangalore

Good Afternoon,

I underwent LASIK Surgery, (against my wishes :) phew)

Procedure:
1) Cornea thickness will be measured (Test costs around 1000 Rupees).
If it is 550 microns or above, full-vision can be guaranteed.
If lesser, you might need glasses to read fine-print. (All that red-herring prospectus stuff :))
Be ready for blurred vision for about 4-5 hours on that test-day.
BKM: I got this done at evening 6:30, so just went to sleep after that test. Avoid driving/arrange to be driven after the test.

Based on that result, LASIK will be scheduled.

2) For 2-3 days, wet your eyes with VIGAMOX drops 4 times a day.

3) Operation:
Take a head-bath & go to the Clinic.
Pay money, Sign the consent form (was said 95 % success rate), get into the Op Room.
I got to listen a beautiful JesuDas Song (courtesy, a Mallu surgeon), while relaxing.

Sleep comfortably on the bed.
For about 10 min, your eyes will be operated.
You'll see lights above your head.
Keep staring at a green light, ignore the surrounding white-light.
That's it.

Lots of fluid will be put in your eyes. (couldn't taste it though :))
A Mobile Phone kind of device will work on your eye.
My guess is they cut the cornea a bit (One would be primary eye & other secondary eye), but you can smell like the skin is burning.

It's all over in 10 min.

I couldn't open eyes, as it was like overflowing with some liquid.
Tuff part was to simply sleep the whole day doing nothing. (Gotta bear it, isn't it)
Next day morning, was like awesome. I could read better.
My only regret was
India got bundled out for paltry 136/9.

With each day, sight turned better (yeah, 50'th Test Hundred for our Hero too).

Doctor suggests 6 weeks healing time, when not to strain the eyes.
All days you gotta wet the eye with VIGAMOX, FML & Systane Eye-Drops.
VIgamox, close eyes for 5 min,
FML, close eyes for 5 min
Systame, close eyes for 5 min.

No restrictions on food.

Money:
All drops do come in 5 ml plastic bottle.
Vigamox costs around 200,
FML around 60 rupees and
Systane around 260 rupees.
(not to seem a penny-pincher, Seen in a sense, each drop costs 5-8 rupees. just made me recall the Pharmaceutical lobby in T N Seetharam's Muktha)
Surgery costs as much as a new laptop. :)

Place:
I got done and do endorse Prabha Eye Clinic (next to Adiga's Hotel, near Banashankari Bus Stand, Bangalore).

Prabha is run by a passionate doctor (Dr Vinay Murthy, who comes from a lineage of doctors).
His father Dr Ramachandra Murthy, too was a famous eye-surgeon.
I found the staff very helpful.

Caveats:

1) Medication, Dosage & timelines are as prescribed to me. It could differ. Leave it to the Doctor, He's the best judge to guide you.
2) I wanted to follow Harry Benjamin & Dr Bates Method as advised by Horakeri Ajja (B M Horakeri, Ex MLA, Badami), but just could not do it, all these years.
So, I can't vouch if that method will get the eye-sight better.
3) I've read the cases/risks of LASIK

short-forms:
BKM: Best Known Method

20/Mar/2011 Eyes keep turning red by end of day.
Dr Raghuveer & Dr Krishna, both from Prabha Clinic saay this is
1) Blood Vessels showing prominently in eyes
2) Dry eyes, need to continue with Systane drops (pinches, 260 Rs for 10 ml)..... part of the game.

2 comments:

Ravindran Keshavan said...

Cooool write up... I'm in no hurry though.. @ -3.75 steady

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you recognise some of these statements yourself.. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry ooutlet online[/url] David and I came here all the time. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose outlet[/url] Isawuxwov
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora jewellery[/url] Dnogbpdcr [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose[/url] zhzxxiggo

About Me

My photo
I've yet to do any thing that's worth to be said about me.